Thursday, September 30, 2010

So little time...

I have each class for 30 mins a week...half an hour...no time at all! For the little people (kindergartner type size), that's all I want...15 mins for a story would be perfect, but for the upper grade students, it's not nearly enough. I like to use the laptops (2:1 ratio) and it's tight trying to get logged on and then get anything done in 30 minutes. So, I've been trying to figure out how to make my class time as efficient as possible. One thing I'm going to do is just start without the lead-in explanation of what we will be doing. I will put instructions on my whiteboard and any needed links, but kids will walk right into "doing." I hope this will allow the kids who are ready to go to just get going, and leave me just walking around helping the kids who need more direct instruction. As a child (&, if I'm honest, still as an adult), I hate the sitting and waiting while instructions or the "what we're going to do"s are given...I want to just do.
I'm going to give it a shot this week with my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment