Tuesday, August 3, 2010

No Short Term Memory

Before I became a teacher, I was a neuropsychologist-to-be.  I got my master's degree in clinical neuropsychology and was part way through my doctoral program when I realized that I was working really hard towards a job I didn't want to have.  I loved the research and the learning, but the actual job I was moving towards wasn't for me.  So, I circled around a bit exploring options and here I am, a teacher in an elementary school library.  Who would have guessed?

One of the things that drew me to neuropsychology in the first place was a book by Oliver Sacks called "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat."  That book included essays about people who had various brain injuries, neurological disorders, degenerative diseases, etc. that resulted in unusual behavior and perceptions.  The stories fascinated me and I loved learning about the parts of the brain that were responsible for these curious outcomes.  One of the stories that stuck with me was about a man whose short term memory had been affected in such a way that he could not remember anything for more than a few seconds.  He was living in a constant state of feeling like he just became aware.  He kept a journal in which he would write things like, "I am awake now" or "Everything written before this is false.  Now I am fully awake."  He repeatedly (but not for him) and always felt that he just had gotten it all under control.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because I feel that way with my blogs and blogging attempts.  I feel like I keep saying "okay, now I finally have it."  The difference from the man is that I still feel the weight of all the blogs hanging out there that haven't worked (either how I wanted for the students or for ease of maintenance for me).  I keep feeling that I may finally have it under control.  I wonder this time if I really have it figured out and under control... or, it is still only a matter of time before I am beginning another blog and saying once again, "okay, now I finally have it."

1 comment:

  1. Now I really feel like this site would work. I just figured out that I can have the recent comments people make show up on the right hand side. Part of the gripe we had with Blogger in the past was that it was hard to see comments. Now it is much more interactive. I probably need to just stay with what I have for the class right now though, and then maybe use Blogger for those kids who are ready for their own blog... which we could link to also. I really have a hard time with keeping it simple and slow.

    ReplyDelete