Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Free and Easy Chunky Cowl Pattern

I'm kinda addicted to cowls lately.  It all started last year after a trip to KnitPurl in Portland.  I made a cowl (NOT the one pictured) that I absolutely love with a yarn that's wonderful.  The pattern I used for that cowl (again, NOT this one) is called the Tuesday Night Cowl by Susan Lawrence and it's available on Ravelry for FREE.  The yarn I used was a worsted weight by Malabrigo in a lovely lettuce color with cool natural dye variations that are awesome.  I really liked knitting with the Malabrigo yarn and I love how it feels around my neck.  Anyway, like I said, this picture isn't of that cowl; although both have a big, chunky kind of look to them that seems to be "in" right now... a good thing for those of us knitters with short attention spans!

The cowl pictured is one that I made up after doing a little browsing at the Gap in San Francisco and seeing a ton of scarves and cowls that I knew I could make.  When I came home of course I couldn't actually remember exactly what they looked like, but was determined to come up with something quick and easy that used up some of the yarn I have at home (what a concept!).  So, below is the pattern for my Mind the Gap Cowl (or you can just click here and download the pattern).


5 comments:

  1. Love this! Thanks so much for sharing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad you like it! I'm enjoying looking at your etsy site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a beginning knitter but does this work if you cast on 24? The math doesn't seem to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your needle size says 13 US and then you have (mm). Does that mean 13 US which is the same as 9mm or do you mean 13mm which is 17 US

    ReplyDelete